All Dali

Yesterday I went with Monique to All Dalí in Rotterdam, an exposition about Salvador Dalí. We had to get up early so, as is quite usual when I have to get up early, I overslept and we had to take the train half an hour later. Which wasn't a really big deal, since we planned to arrive there at 13u and now we would arrive at 13.30u, which was still okay. The trainride took a little longer than usual, since ProRail was working on the tracks between Eindhoven and Tilburg. So we had to travel via Utrecht. Not a big deal.

We arrived in Rotterdam and it was very cold, there. We'd never have expected the temperature differences to be so large, since in Limburg, we had enough protection with just our summer coats on. In Rotterdam we felt like we were freezing. Since the museum where the exposition was being held, was close to the trainstation, we decided to walk there. The wind was blowing quite cold and we were happy when we finally, after no more than fifteen minutes, arrived in the museum. It started raining when we were buying our tickets, so we were glad to get inside. Also, since it was Museumweekend (which we only found out when we were buying our ticket), the prices were quite a bit lower than expected, just 5 euro's instead of 12. Since we already payed almost 50 euro's for the train, this reduction was very welcome.

The exposition was about everything I expected from it. Monique didn't really appreciate all the crazy stuff Dalí created in his life, but I knew that from the start. Monique went along because I often do stuff with her that she likes a lot more than I do (like visiting her friends or family or stuff). Although she never forces me to join her, I always go with her just because I like to. Therefor she decided she wanted to come with me to this exposition, just for the company and the nice time we'd be having together.

Although I liked the exposition, some things were a bit strange. For example, usually in a large advertised exposition as this seems to be (every trainstation has posters hanging around about All Dalí) the works of arts are organised in a chronological order. That's because it's easier to see progression in his style and form when the pieces are chronologicaly organised. And I personally think the progression of an artist in his life is what makes an exposition like this very interesting. Instead, the works are organised by theme. So it starts with some movies, some paintings, some fashion, and a Walt Disney movie. Which is all very entertaining, but I for one failed to see the progression he made in his years.

And, as I read a bit about Dalí, progressions is what I would find most interesting about all his work. Since he started as a surrealist and was influenced by all the major styles at that time, like Cubism and Dadaism. Still, I had a nice hour-and-a-half walking through the exposition and looking at the stuff the museum had on display. Since several movies were shown, it was quite entertaining, although I have to admit, you should like surrealism first, before going there. Or else you'll most likely be bored. Monique doesn't really like surrealism, but she went looking for pieces she could like. So we both had a nice time.

Then came the journey home, which was almost a complete disaster. When we wanted to leave the museum, it was still raining. And it was raining cats and dogs. Since we knew we would already be cold walking all the way to the trainstation, we started with waiting until the rain would stop, since if we were wet, the cold would only be worse. It wasn't meant to be. After three-quarters of and hour waiting on the chilly hall of the museum and even starting our first argument together, we were fed up with waiting and decided to start walking to the nearest metrostation. The rain wasn't really bad, I've walked through worse, so we were still reasonably dry when we arrived at the metrostation. Although it was still very cold.

Inside the metrostation, we had no luck either. It was the wrong track and we had to switch if we wanted to go to the trainstation. Besides, since neither of us are regular metro users, we didn't understand how we could calculate our ticket. And since there was nobody there to help us, we decided we'd better start walking in the rain back to the trainstation. Through the cold. And so we did. Luckily, the rain didn't get really bad anymore, but it was still very very cold.

Once inside the trainstation, we figured out which train to take to Utrecht (since the track between Tilburg and Eindhoven was closed) and bought ourselves some pizza to have something warm in our stomachs. Out on the platforms, the wind was almost howling and chilling us through the bones. It was broadcasted that a lot of trains were retarded, because an accident happened nearby. Through all the broadcasts and the cold waiting, I decided to check about our train. Apparantly, the information at the entrance of the trainstation was off, too! We waited for thirty minutes and apparantly we could have taken a train twice! And the next train would go twenty minutes later. We cursed the Dutch Railways and went inside again for some snacks. Finally, we were on the right track and the train was already waiting, which saved us another five minutes of cold waiting. The train was blissfully warm and our moods, which turned very sour earlier, lifted.

The journey back in the train was nice. We had nice talks and appreciated each others company. So all went well from then on. But Monique did vow to never undertake such a journey by train again. Driving herself would have solved a lot of the problems we had today. And I agree, public transportation is nice, but only when the weather is nice, too.


Comments powered by Disqus